Wanted: 100-130ish km loop within 90 minute drive from Melbourne

Hi all

I am looking for some advice.

I recently got my act together to get up and trained for the Mt Macedon challenge ride. I didnt end up doing it because I didnt think it would be a pleasant experience...(yes I piked it because of the weather).

Anyway, in the next month or so I want to get out of town and go do a hilly country road sportive type ride. Riding the same old roads is starting to diminish in excitement.

I need to have it done pre mid-Jan as life will get a bit hectic after this for a while.

Does anyone know of anyone good sportives coming up pre mid Jan?

Alternatively any good loops that are really easy to navigate for a first timer? (I wish I had a GPS!).

Would happily go do it without it being a set event but dont particularly want to get lost.

I also dont want to drive all day to get there, so within a 90 minute drive from Melbourne would be ideal.

Not asking for much am I?!

Is the Mt Macedon challenge route easy enough to navigate without marshalls etc?

Any ideas / suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Matt

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I also piked the MtMacedon Challenge; way too wet for me.

However, I did go back and ride most of it last Saturday morning; and I wasn't alone in that idea. The coffee shops at both Woodend MtMacedon were packed with lycra wearing folks. Given the Mt Macedon Challenge map you won't get lost; and it is certainly an up, down, up, down and repeat sort of ride.
Great, thanks Peter.

Might head up there next fine weekend day.

Matt
I did the Mt Macedon Challenge and thought the course was fantastic and would be a good challenge without the weather. It would certainly be worth heading out there on a dry day.
There's also Scotty's ride in Shepparton in early december (11th maybe?).
G'day Matt

Maybe checkout the Audax Rides Calender
http://audax.org.au/public/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=176.

Great rides, great routes, great company, great support, great price :)

C'ya
Alan
Thats a great website, thanks Alan. I didnt realise Audax had rides on so frequently, looks fantastic. Strzelecki Ranges here I come!

Out of curiosity, how many riders tend to do each event?

Cheers
Matt
G'day Matt

Depends but in my experience anywhere between 10 to 30. Some rides have a following and may get up to 100. Being the qualifying Audax (from 1st Nov) year for the 2011 Paris Brest Paris there may be more especially as there is a quota system in place for allocating the limited spots on the PBP, so folk are clocking up more kms to get in, then when I last did it when there was no quota. Audax riding is great cos you nearly always find someone/people of similar ability to ride with. It is not a race and about personal achievement and self reliance - If it breaks-You fix it. If you need it-You carry it. Very Audacious :)

Enjoy.

C'ya
Alan
One of my favorite rides is starting at Warrandyte and riding up to Kinglake and back. The climb from St Andrews to Kinglake is a nice steady climb with fantastic views. If you've read the latest issue of bicycling Australia magazine Trent Lowe from Garmin team has a feature article on the same ride but he continues from kinglake to healesville then back to Warrandyte, its about a 100km loop.

Thanks Justin (sorry about the delay in response!)

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service