Hi all, it is nice to see groups appearing made up from members of the site however. A lot of Melbourne Cyclist members spend a lot of time alone and in my case I really do not get out enough and enjoy the cycling. A couple of things I have found though to encourage me to get out more was first to purchase a Sport GPS to log my rides and give me some satisfaction plus a permanent record of all the places I have ridden. 

Recently I registered on the STRAVA site and using an Iphone started to record and upload rides. I then realised that the site would accept files in the Garmin .tcx format so I plugged in the Garmin Forerunner and all of the rides still in memory were uploaded onto the STRAVA site. I then started to notice that many of the rides I have done have challenges and in most of them my ranking was pretty poor which is probably understandable considering my age and weight. But it was still interesting to see how the other riders registered with STRAVA handled a section. Here is an example of some sections created in the Canterbury area:

Anyone can create a section but the most important thing is that when a section has been created if you choose to compete in them each time you enter one your time is compared with everyone else that has ridden the same section. You can also compare your performance against the leader of the section and another interesting part of the program is that you can compare yourself to another rider. In my case I expect i would do a little better if I was a paid up user then I would be able to compare my performance against other riders the same age and weight as myself.

I hope this group does start to take off and I urge all Iphone, Android and Garmin owners to get onboard.

If you do register with STRAVA make sure you join the Melbourne Cyclist Group listed in the Clubs section.

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris if you look at groups and choose STRAVA you will see that there are 11 members. Now if you go here you will see they are all registered with the app as well. And from here you can track all of there rides. There should be some stats for the group as well but I cannot seem to find that one.

Keep burning up the K's.

Thanks Jack.

I'll start following them.

I forgot I joined the STRAVA group a while ago so will check that out too.

No ride yesterday because my ankle swelled up quite badly.

I'll see how I go today in-between showers.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service